Director–Government & Regulatory Affairs
- Telus Communications
- Ottawa, ON
- Lawyer - In House Counsel, Lawyer - Other
- Area of Practice
- Job Type
- Full time
- Minimum Level of Education
- Professional degree - LL.B
Here’s the impact you’ll make and what we’ll accomplish together
As Director–GRA, you will be performing the role of a “Chief of Staff”, reporting dually to the Vice-president, Regulatory and Chief Legal Counsel, and the Vice-president, Public Policy, and responsible for developing and executing on TELUS’ comprehensive GRA strategy and coordinating with key partners across TELUS to advance our public policy goals.
You will work closely with executives and leadership teams to help manage the overall functioning of the GRA team, including leading the planning process for future-focused strategic planning as well as driving the execution of short-term projects and deep dives. It’s your job to keep all the players coordinated by clearly communicating goals, progress, and deadlines to relevant stakeholders. You will be the key interlock between the business, technology, public affairs, communications, and the broader GRA team as we align our policy and regulatory goals in support of our business priorities.
Your creativity, insight and focus on execution will support TELUS’ goals on specific policy files including spectrum auction frameworks, government policy reviews, and enhancing connectivity for all Canadians.
- Serve as a central hub for the GRA team, cultivating relationships across TELUS teams and business units to align TELUS GR, regulatory, technology and business strategies to operate as one team
- Own the strategic narrative for the GRA team and lead the development of messaging and communications for audiences including external stakeholders, the GRA team, the TELUS executive leadership team, CEO and Board of Directors
- Lead strategy analysis, development and execution for the GRA team in collaboration with executives and leadership teams, with a focus on:
- Creating a strategic three-year roadmap outlining specific objectives and lead executive-level performance updates
- Managing short-term tactical projects to deliver on our roadmap
- Leading the development, review and tracking of key performance objectives and ensure alignment to the broader corporate strategy and priorities
- Drive operational excellence for the GRA team by leading day to day management, in collaboration with the business unit controller, of the GRA budget, forecasts, and triage, providing regular tracking and communicating risks to leadership
- Respected for your impeccable planning, organizational, project management, and prioritization skills, ensuring successful completion of team objectives
- You are known as an exceptional communicator with expertise in preparing material for executive-level audiences including presentations, monthly reports, briefings, etc
- Regarded as a strong influencer and negotiator, you are able to build and maintain effective partnerships with internal and external stakeholders, including influencing senior leaders across the organization
- The ability to learn quickly from success or failure, apply sound judgement, and exercise leadership in times of change and ambiguity
- Proven aptitude in managing high volume workloads while paying close attention to details
- 10 years’ experience in a senior government affairs, strategy or operations role in a complex corporate setting
- Experience in a regulated industry.
- Law Degree or Master’s Degree in Business, Economics, Public Administration, Political Science, or Communications preferred
- Familiarity with current telecoms and broadcasting policy and regulatory frameworks is strongly preferred
- Bilingualism in English and French is an asset
Who is TELUS?
We're a high-performing team of individuals who collectively make TELUS one of the leading telecommunications companies in Canada. Our competitive consumer offerings include wireline, wireless, internet and Optik TV™. We also deliver a compelling range of products and services for small, medium and large businesses; and have carved out a leadership position in the health, energy, finance and public sector markets with innovative industry specific solutions.
Everyone belongs at TELUS. It doesn’t matter who you are, what you do or how you do it, at TELUS, your unique contribution and talents will be valued and respected. Because the more diverse perspectives we have the more likely we are to crack the code on what our customers want and our communities need.
Do you share our passion?
At TELUS, you create future friendly® possibilities.
At TELUS, we are committed to diversity and equitable access to employment opportunities based on ability.