- Peoples Group
- Toronto, ON
- Lawyer - In House Counsel
- Area of Practice
- Corporate/Commercial Law
- Job Type
- Full time
- Minimum Level of Education
- Professional degree - LL.B
- Minimum Number of Years in Practice
- 4-10 years
Peoples Group is a boutique Financial Institution with offices located in Vancouver, Calgary, Toronto and Montreal that has been in the Canadian marketplace for over 30 years.
Our focus is on exceeding our customer’s expectations by providing exceptional customer service backed by extensive product knowledge and experience. We believe that people come first, everyone has strengths, and work should be inspiring, challenging, and fun.
When we opened our doors in 1985, our specialty was the origination of Residential and Multi-family mortgage products and the provision of short and long term guaranteed investment products. Since then, we have significantly grown our team and product line to provide innovative solutions for our clients, backed by years of industry expertise and rates which are consistently among the best in Canada.
The Peoples Group Brands:
- Peoples Trust® – As a federally chartered financial institution, we specialize in Credit and Business Development, Conventional, CMHC and Single-Family Lending Services, Mortgage-Backed Securities, Banking, Servicing and Administration, Social Housing, Deposit Services for short and long term GIC’s, RRSP’s, TFSA’s and high rate e-Savings accounts with online banking convenience.
- Peoples Card Services® – A leading issuer of Visa®, MasterCard® and China Union Pay credit and prepaid cards, we are recognized as a pioneer and innovator of card programs in Canada. Last year we issued 30+ million cards in 750+ programs across Canada, totaling more than $1.2 billion loads.
- Peoples Payment Solutions® – Providing a ‘one stop solution’ for merchants in Canada in partnership with sponsored Independent Sales Organizations (ISO’s), Payment Facilitators, and Processors with connections to Visa®, MasterCard®, Discover® and Interac®.
About this Role:
You will report to our President of Payments Solutions and Card Services and will be supporting the business and operations teams in both these divisions. The Payment Solutions team is responsible for all systems that move money within the financial services ecosystem in addition to providing acquiring sponsorship services to Independent Sales Organizations (ISOs) and their Merchants. The Card Services team is responsible for the Issuing side of the business and is busy getting new card issuing programs up and running smoothly. In both arenas we are responsible for settling transactions with the Card Networks, abiding by the Networks’ code of conduct, ensuring full compliance with the various regulatory bodies and performing necessary risk monitoring and evaluations. As a Federally regulated Financial Institution it is critical that we are well informed and ahead of any changes to the regulatory environment in Canada with respect to Financial Services and related areas. This role will have you providing legal support in areas that are absolutely critical to the success of every participant in the Payments Solutions and Card Services teams.
Sound like you? Here’s what you’ll need to demonstrate:
To succeed in this role you will need excellent commercial skills, communication skills, the ability to collaborate and work well with others, and a fantastic ability to prioritize amongst competing teams. You will be able to draw on your existing knowledge and expand your knowledge and research new areas and changing and/or evolving legislation. You will also have strong negotiating and drafting skills on a variety of different types of agreements, be able to negotiate with third parties and be able to provide business advice with little supervision. You can quickly re-evaluate and pivot when faced with new information or changing circumstances. You can provide legal advice on new products and services development and analyze and report to stakeholders on applicable legislative environments. You can draw upon your strengths, are passionate and you enjoy working as a team player.
- A law degree from a recognized institution and in good standing with the Law Society of Upper Canada • Strong commercial contract drafting skills, corporate commercial law, general knowledge of financial services area with focus on provincially and federally regulated entities
- Strong legal, research, negotiation and interpersonal skills
- Payment industry experience as strong asset
- History working with cross functional teams including sales, operations, IT, and finance
- Experience providing legal counsel on new product developments, including negotiating, drafting and reviewing commercial agreements, drafting terms of service and related policies
- Excellent problem solving, critical thinking and organizational skills
- Experience managing external legal counsel
- Legal counsel experience, 5+ years
The people you’ll work with:
In this role, you will have the opportunity to work with various teams across the company and directly contribute to the success of your colleagues and interact with the wider Peoples Group team. You will also interact with customers, third-party vendors, payment card network operators and regulators.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. Frequent periods are spent sitting and standing in the same location. While performing the duties of this job, the employee may occasionally be required to move about or lift light objects (typically less than 15 lbs.)
The regular work environment is usually an office setting with conditions typical of an office. The employee may infrequently be exposed to other conditions, such as outside weather conditions. The work environment usually has a quiet to moderate noise level. When there is a business requirement you may be asked or required to work after regular business hours including nights, weekends, and holidays. Occasional business travel may be required. You may be invited to participate in psychometric assessments to complement your development plan.
This information should not be construed as the position’s exclusive standards. Performing other assigned duties is required. Reasonable accommodation may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform essential functions. Employees are responsible for knowing and following all company policies and procedures and Federal, Provincial and Local governmental regulations including Occupational Health and Safety requirements while working and representing Peoples Group.
Compensation and Benefits
Extended leave (vacation, personal)
Peoples Group is an Equal Opportunity Employer. Minorities/Women/Veterans/Disabled.