Desjardins Group is the largest cooperative financial group in Canada, and one of the largest employers in the country. It offers a full range of financial products and services and is home to a wealth of expertise in property and casualty insurance, life and health insurance, wealth management, services for businesses of all sizes, securities brokerage, asset management, venture capital, and secure, leading-edge virtual access methods.
Legal Counsel will provide in house litigation and other legal services regarding Property and Casualty insurance issues.
All necessary activities relating to the defence of accident benefits, bodily injury and property loss claims.
Legal Counsel will provide in-house litigation and other legal services regarding property and casualty insurance issues.
- Research and preparation of legal opinions on coverage issues, liability and quantum of damages.
- Carriage of and responsibility for the delivery of cost effective and efficient resolutions of disputed claims.
- Preparation of pleadings and related materials.
- Conducting Examinations for Discovery.
- Court Attendances for motions, pre-trials and trials.
- Attendance at arbitration, pre-arbitration and mediations.
- Prepare materials for and conduct continuing education sessions.
Other working condition
- Number of job available : 1
- Bachelor of Law Degree and a member in good standing of the Law Society of Upper Canada.
- Six years of property and casualty insurance defense
- Arbitration and litigation experience with focus in Bodily Injury, Accident Benefits, Personal Injury or Property.
- Trial or Arbitration experience (an asset)
Please note that other combinations of qualifications and relevant experience may be considered
- Member- Law Society of Ontario
- For vacant positions available in Quebec, please note that knowledge of French is required
Desjardins Cross-sector skills
Accountability, Collaborates, Customer Focus, Innovation
Key competencies for the job
Interpersonal Savvy, Strategic mindset