Mortgage Administrator, Legal
- Toronto, ON
- Law Clerk
- Area of Practice
- Commercial Real Estate Law
- Job Type
- Full time
- Minimum Level of Education
- College diploma
- Minimum Number of Years in Practice
- 1-3 years
Are you looking for unlimited opportunities to develop and succeed? With work that challenges and makes a difference, within a flexible and supportive environment, we can help our customers achieve their dreams and aspirations.
Manulife's commercial mortgage portfolio is comprised of assets domiciled in both the US and Canada and have both internal and external investors. Mortgage Operations is responsible for management of these assets for the duration of the life cycle. We have direct interactions with the borrowers, solicitors and title companies, as well as both internal and external stakeholders. Within Mortgage Operations we have a Legal Services Team which primarily is responsible for preparing all documentation for the registration of mortgage discharges after Canadian and US loans have been paid in full while ensuring we maintain accurate security on the current portfolio. The Mortgage Operations team is focused on being an accountable, high performing team through continuous improvement and delivery of value to our clients.
This position works within a mortgage servicing area working closing with other teams for our US and Canadian clients on a wide variety of transactions and initiatives.
Perform legal tasks within the area under supervision, draft basic legal documents, correspondences, forms and reports. Organize and maintains databases and files. Maintain communication with internal contacts, communicates with outside counsel, representatives of other companies in the industry, government agencies and other parties as needed.
Our ideal candidate is organzied, professional, responsible and committed to helping us serve our internal clients as well as external.
Create, review and revise documents required to complete legal filings in accordance with federal and state regulations.
- Law Clerk program / Legal Administration diploma
- 2 – 3 years in similar role specializing in Commercial Real Estate / Mortgage or Residential Real Estate is desirable
- Good knowledge of business / mortgage / real estate legal terminology
- Knowledge of MS Office; Outlook and other business and legal research tools
- Proven proficiency in e- registry systems (Teranet)
- Strong communication skills, organizational and administrative skills;
- Comfortable to work in a team environment, with ability to work independently;
- Ability to identify risks; and ability to handle sensitive matters with professionalism
- Ability to coordinate with several stakeholders both internal and external (borrowers, solicitors, title companies)
- Contribute to continuous improvements of processes within team
- To provide legal support to the Mortgage Servicing department as it relates to commercial mortgages within Canada and the US. Primarily includes the following:
- Review of Commercial mortgage files (all legal documentation)
- Review and knowledge of recorded documentation (title search)
- Prepare all discharge documentation for Canada and US; which includes ensuring the correct parties are executing the document and ensuring proper notarization rules are followed.
- Maintain and renew existing PPSA and UCC filings
- Assist in researching previously paid out mortgages throughout Canada and the U.S. and prepare discharges when required for outside Lawyers or previous Mortgage customers.
- Mortgage file management, completing checklists, updating mortgage systems, scanning documentation
If you are ready to unleash your potential, it’s time to start your career with Manulife/John Hancock.
Manulife Financial Corporation is a leading international financial services group that helps people make their decisions easier and lives better. We operate primarily as John Hancock in the United States and Manulife elsewhere. We provide financial advice, insurance, as well as wealth and asset management solutions for individuals, groups and institutions. At the end of 2018, we had more than 34,000 employees, over 82,000 agents, and thousands of distribution partners, serving almost 28 million customers. As of December 31, 2018, we had over $1.1 trillion (US$794 billion) in assets under management and administration, and in the previous 12 months we made $29.0 billion in payments to our customers.
Our principal operations in Asia, Canada and the United States are where we have served customers for more than 100 years. With our global headquarters in Toronto, Canada, we trade as 'MFC' on the Toronto, New York, and the Philippine stock exchanges and under '945' in Hong Kong.
Manulife is committed to supporting a culture of diversity and accessibility across the organization. It is our priority to remove barriers to provide equal access to employment. A Human Resources representative will consult with applicants contacted to participate at any stage of the recruitment process who request an accommodation. Information received regarding the accommodation needs of applicants will be addressed confidentially.