Skip to main content
Back to results
Are you an expert when it comes to performing second-line-of-defense activities? Do you ‘think on your feet’, balancing commercial objectives with legal, regulatory and ethical considerations? Do you advocate for the importance of operational risks?
We’re looking for a Chief Compliance Officer to oversee UBS Bank (Canada)'s Compliance Program. The Compliance program includes the compliance risk assessment, monitoring and testing, reporting, and training. The individual in this role will be a member of the local Canadian senior management team that interacts with other local and regional senior managers within the business and within Compliance to ensure that the Bank remains in compliance with all applicable banking laws and regulations.
• identifying local laws and regulations applicable to a Schedule II bank, portfolio manager and exempt market dealer;
• partner with legal counsel to ensure that bank policies, guidelines, standards and Compliance monitoring and testing procedures and business procedures are consistent with regulatory requirements and interpretations of laws, regulations, rules or any other related industry regulatory standards or guidelines;
• assessing compliance with applicable local laws and regulations through periodic monitoring and testing of the business;
• communicating legal and regulatory requirements impacting stakeholders and provide guidance from a Compliance perspective;
• establishing policies, guidelines or standards to mitigate Compliance risks;
• providing compliance reports to the CEO, Regional Compliance and the board of directors regarding any material circumstances where the Bank may be in non-compliance with applicable laws and regulations;
• submitting reporting to the board of directors on the status of compliance with applicable laws and regulations;
• monitoring changes to the legal and regulatory environment;
• maintaining an effective legislative compliance management system to monitor the status of compliance with local laws and regulations;
• establishing and maintaining a local compliance training program;
• overseeing control and monitoring activity conducted by Compliance staff;
• conducting self-assessments on compliance controls to ensure they are functioning effectively;
• acting as the regulatory relationship manager, including responding to requests for information from regulators;
• create and maintain Compliance procedures for the monitoring and testing of applicable laws and regulations;
• approving senior management's proposed procedures, controls and risk mitigation strategies for New Business Initiatives and Outsourcing Initiatives from a Compliance perspective;
• implementing global and regional compliance policies locally;
• handling of escalated client complaints;
• reviewing new or amended marketing materials;
• monitoring and reporting to the board of directors on related party transactions; and
• fostering a compliance culture in the organization
As a member of the Canadian Senior Management team for our Wealth Management business, you will be located in our Toronto office. You will have a team of two experienced and dedicated Compliance professionals.
• Bachelors' degree or higher
• 10+ years compliance experience in the banking and/or securities industry, at least 3 years of which you have been registered in a Compliance capacity
• completed the CCO educational qualifications including CSC, PDO or CCO exams or you are a CFA,Charter holder or lawyer
• been the Officer Responsible for derivatives with the AMF and therefore have completed derivative fundamental and Option Licensing (DFOL)
• ideally completed the Future Licensing Course and Commodities Supervisory Course
• experience dealing with local regulators including: the Office of the Superintendent of Financial Institutions Canada ("OSFI"), the Canada Deposit Insurance Corporation ("CDIC"); the Financial Consumer Agency of Canada ("FCAC"); and the Ontario Securities Commission.
• a good strong knowledge of Canadian banking and securities laws and regulations, including the Bank Act (Canada) and regulations, OSFI Guidelines, Ontario Securities Commission, CDIC By-Laws, and other applicable Canadian securities acts, regulations and rules.
• ideally prior experience at a foreign banking organization
• strong writing and oral communication skills (English, French or Mandarin would be an asset)
• strong organizational, team management and project management skills
Expert advice. Wealth management. Investment banking. Asset management. Retail banking in Switzerland. And all the support functions. That's what we do. And we do it for private and institutional clients as well as corporations around the world.
We are about 60,000 employees in all major financial centers, in more than 50 countries. Do you want to be one of us?
We're a truly global, collaborative and friendly group of people. Having a diverse, inclusive and respectful workplace is important to us. And we support your career development, internal mobility and work-life balance. If this sounds interesting, apply now.
Disclaimer / Policy Statements
UBS is an Equal Opportunity Employer. We respect and seek to empower each individual and support the diverse cultures, perspectives, skills and experiences within our workforce.
Lawyer - In House Counsel,
Lawyer - Other,
Unifor Legal Services Plan (LSP)
Workplace Safety and Insurance Board
Zurich Insurance Group