An exciting opportunity to join the dynamic and collegial Canadian and Caribbean Employment Law team. As Senior Counsel, you will provide employment law support to functional and business partners across the enterprise for Canada. Employment law issues include common law and statutory employment laws, hiring, immigration, compensation, benefits, advice about single and group reductions in workforce, as well as privacy, disability (insurance) and human rights.
What will you do?
- Provides advice and counsel to functional and business partners to assist in the management of legal and reputational risk involving employment-related issues at the enterprise level for Canada
- Provides efficient and effective delivery of legal services to all platforms, which align with Law Group’s goals and objectives related to Designated Counsel
- Manages litigation for employment law disputes by identifying and assessing risk (legal, regulatory and/or media) and coordinating a strategy for the defence of same
- Manages the cost and performance of external counsel and assures cost effective and efficient delivery of legal services
- Ensures timely updating of all matters in accordance with RBC Law Group procedures, reporting out internally on all matters as required and appropriate provisioning on all matters where the Senior Counsel is identified the professional responsible for the litigation and as required by Finance
- Provides legal support and advice to functional and business partners with respect to legislative developments of employment standards and other related federal and provincial legislation
- Manages investigations involving allegations of employee misconduct
- Assists or leads ad hoc projects as directed
What do you need to succeed?
- A minimum of 7 or more years of employment law or in an in-house law department experience with in-depth knowledge of employment laws
- Bachelor of Law degree from recognized law school
- Called to the Bar of a Canadian province
- Superior written and oral communication skills
- Strong legal skills and knowledge–Expert knowledge in employment law
- Proven ability to work individually on matters as well as in a team environment
- Enterprise mindset, ability to understand global issues and operate in a global business
- Ability to impact and influence, engage, motivate, make decisions despite uncertainty and inspire across multiple levels and team members
- Ability to focus resources on what matters most and simplifies things that are complicated
- Must adapt quickly to changing circumstances
- Membership in applicable law society
What’s in it for you?
We thrive on the challenge to be our best, progressive thinking to keep growing, and working together to deliver trusted advice to help our clients thrive and communities prosper. We care about each other, reaching our potential, making a difference to our communities, and achieving success that is mutual.
- A comprehensive Total Rewards Program including bonuses and flexible benefits, competitive compensation
- Leaders who support your development through coaching and managing opportunities
- Work in a dynamic, collaborative, progressive, and high-performing team
- Opportunities to do challenging work
- Flexible work/life balance options
Royal Bank of Canada is Canada’s largest bank, and one of the largest banks in the world, based on market capitalization. We are one of North America’s leading diversified financial services companies, and provide personal and commercial banking, wealth management, insurance, investor services and capital markets products and services on a global basis. We have over 80,000 full- and part-time employees who serve more than 16 million personal, business, public sector and institutional clients through offices in Canada, the U.S. and 37 other countries. For more information, please visit rbc.com.
Join our Talent Community
Stay in-the-know about great career opportunities at RBC. Sign up and get customized info on our latest jobs, career tips and Recruitment events that matter to you.
Expand your limits and create a new future together at RBC. Find out how we use our passion and drive to enhance the well-being of our clients and communities at rbc.com/careers.
Inclusion and Equal Opportunity Employment
RBC is an equal opportunity employer committed to diversity and inclusion. We are pleased to consider all qualified applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, disability, protected veterans status, Aboriginal/Native American status or any other legally-protected factors. Disability-related accommodations during the application process are available upon request.
Address: 200 Bay St.
Work Hours/Week: 37.5
Work Environment: Office
Employment Type: Permanent
Career Level: Experienced Hire/Professional
Pay Type: Salaried
Required Travel (%): 0-25
People Manager: No
Application Deadline: 10/11/2019
Req ID: 196620