At Sun Life, we work together, share common values and encourage growth and achievement. We offer many career paths that attract a wide variety of talent and skills. Follow a path that lets your talents shine.
We are looking for a counsel level lawyer with business acumen and a focus on client centred solutions to join the dynamic legal team that supports Sun Life’s insurance and wealth distribution business. This is an agile role which may be based in our Toronto or Waterloo office.
The successful candidate will be resilient, adaptable, highly motivated and self-confident. They will be required to provide proactive, timely and strategic legal support to senior business leaders and their teams, as well as related support areas such as Compliance, IT, and Human Resources on a broad range of matters associated with retail distribution of insurance products and mutual funds. This will involve review of product and marketing materials, drafting agreements, advise on applicable laws, policies, procedures, and regulatory obligations, provide guidance in relation to workplace and regulatory investigations, and keep abreast of legal regulatory developments and changes.
The successful candidate will be:
• a member in good standing with the Law Society of Ontario with a minimum of 3 years of relevant experience at a law firm or in-house legal team;
• experienced in the financial services industry, insurance or mutual fund business
• enthusiastic about leveraging data and technology to provide legal solutions to our business partners and inform business strategy;
• able to engage and influence others with confidence;
• familiar with applicable legal industry and regulatory trends;
• able to distill complex problems and apply analytical and creative thinking to provide innovative solutions and manage risk;
• skilled at simplifying complex legal concepts and writing and speaking clearly;
• able to take a risk-based approach to the prioritization of work; and
• able to build relationships across multiple areas of the business.
The Base Pay range is for the primary location for which the job is posted. It may vary depending on the work location of the successful candidate or other factors. In addition to Base Pay, eligible Sun Life employees participate in various incentive plans, payment under which is discretionary and subject to individual and company performance. Certain sales focused roles have sales incentive plans based on individual or group sales results.
Diversity and inclusion have always been at the core of our values at Sun Life. A diverse workforce with wide perspectives and creative ideas benefits our clients, the communities where we operate and all of us as colleagues. We welcome applications from qualified individuals from all backgrounds.
Persons with disabilities who need accommodation in the application process or those needing job postings in an alternative format may e-mail a request to email@example.com.
We thank all applicants for showing an interest in this position. Only those selected for an interview will be contacted.