Counsel - Employment Law
- Sun Life Financial
- Toronto, ON
- Lawyer - In House Counsel
- Area of Practice
- Labour & Employment Law
- Job Type
- Permanent, Full time
- Minimum Level of Education
- Professional degree - LL.B
At Sun Life, we work together, share common values and encourage growth and achievement. We offer many career paths that attract a wide variety of talent and skills. Follow a path that lets your talents shine.
We are looking for a counsel level lawyer with strong business acumen and a relentless focus on the client experience to join the dynamic legal team that supports our Canadian businesses. This is an agile role that could be based in either our Toronto or Waterloo office.
The successful candidate will be assertive, resilient, adaptable, and self-confident. Working closely with Human Resources and business partners, they will be required to provide proactive, timely, and strategic advice in connection with a broad range of employment and other HR related issues including hiring, compensation, benefits, termination, discipline, accommodation, and human rights matters. The role will include drafting contractor/employment/vendor agreements, employment policies, and offer letters; negotiating severance packages; advising on incentive and other compensation plans; developing HR best practices; responding to actual or threatened litigation and managing external counsel; providing guidance in relation to workplace and regulatory investigations; and supporting large scale projects with HR impacts.
The successful candidate will be:
- a member in good standing with the Law Society of Ontario with 3 - 5 years of relevant experience at a law firm or in-house legal team;
- enthusiastic about leveraging data and technology to provide legal solutions to our business partners and inform business strategy;
- able to engage and influence others with confidence;
- familiar with applicable industry and regulatory trends;
- able to distill complex problems and apply analytical and creative thinking to provide innovative solutions and manage risk;
- skilled at simplifying complex legal concepts and writing and speaking clearly;
- able to take a risk-based approach to the prioritization of work; and
- able to build relationships across multiple areas of the business.
The Base Pay range is for the primary location for which the job is posted. It may vary depending on the work location of the successful candidate or other factors. In addition to Base Pay, eligible Sun Life employees participate in various incentive plans, payment under which is discretionary and subject to individual and company performance. Certain sales focused roles have sales incentive plans based on individual or group sales results.
Diversity and inclusion have always been at the core of our values at Sun Life. A diverse workforce with wide perspectives and creative ideas benefits our clients, the communities where we operate and all of us as colleagues. We welcome applications from qualified individuals from all backgrounds.
Persons with disabilities who need accommodation in the application process or those needing job postings in an alternative format may e-mail a request to firstname.lastname@example.org.
We thank all applicants for showing an interest in this position. Only those selected for an interview will be contacted.