Corporate Legal Counsel
- Montreal, QC
- Lawyer - In House Counsel
- Area of Practice
- Business Law, Corporate/Commercial Law
- Job Type
- Full time
- Minimum Level of Education
- Professional Degree - LL.B or B.C.L
- Minimum Number of Years in Practice
- 10+ years
Targray is a diversified multinational commodity and specialty materials company that markets a broad range of products and solutions for high-growth energy sectors. Established in 1989 in Montreal, Canada, our organization is a leading international provider of materials for solar and energy storage companies, and one of the largest physical traders and distributors of Biodiesel fuel in North America.
Targray has operations in 8 countries and over $600M in annual sales. In 2019, the company made its debut appearance on the FP500, Financial Post’s ranking of the top 500 corporations in Canada by revenue.
- Deloitte | Best Managed Companies (2019)
- EY Canada | Quebec Entrepreneur of the Year (2016)
- HSBC | International Business Award (2012)
- Profit 100 Fastest-Growing Companies in Canada (2006, 2009)
We are looking for an experienced Corporate Legal Counsel to join our team at Targray World Headquarters in Montreal, Quebec (Kirkland). Reporting directly to the CEO, you will be responsible for a variety of legal projects including the development of contract templates & distribution agreements, participating in risk management activities, contributing to the creation of customer/supplier deal structures, and managing corporate legal compliance in a variety of industries.
- Prepare, review and negotiate company contracts, vendor agreements, distribution agreements, long term asset lease agreements, and other legal documents.
- Contribute to cross-functional teams as a trusted advisor, creative problem-solver and strategic thinker.
- Participating in development of new trade finance deal structures.
- Review and draft a broad range of general corporate, commercial and procurement documents.
- Participate in the drafting and modification of banking agreements.
- Assisting in developing the organization's policies on industry-specific issues, corporate governance or regulatory affairs.
- Research and analyze documents and case law, to ensure the accuracy of advice and procedure.
- Consult and advise executive, senior management and board on various matters such as legal rights, and new and existing laws.
- Draft and preserve corporate records and statutory filings.
- Participate in/manage any corporate legal disputes with other entities.
- Be the go-to person for everything legal in a rapidly growing international trading business.
- Bachelor of Law Degree from an accredited University.
- Member in good standing with a recognized Canadian Law Society and / or the Canadian Bar Association and a license to practice law in Canada.
- Admission to applicable courts in Canadian jurisdictions (Ontario & Quebec).
- Member of the Quebec Bar.
- A minimum of 10 years’ experience practicing corporate, commercial and business law.
- Familiarity with US and International corporate law is an asset.
- Strong financial acumen.
- Contracts experience within a legal department in a fast growing industry is preferred.
- Understanding of Risk Assessment & Management.
- Extensive expertise in structuring, revising and negotiating a wide range of commercial contracts, including supply, contract manufacturing, supply chain, distribution, consulting and non-disclosure agreements.
- Excellent legal research and writing skills.
- Dynamic and disciplined thinker with an entrepreneurial spirit and a passion for success in a fast-paced, growing environment.
- Highest ethical standards, authenticity, integrity, and credibility.
- Professional demeanor and ability to interact with persuasiveness and confidence.
- Flexibility to travel when required.
- Beautiful, spacious and modern workplace environment
- On-site fitness facility reserved for employees
- Generous company-wide profit-sharing plan
- Medical and dental insurance
- Retirement Savings Plan w/ employer matching
- Subsidized healthy meal program
Targray provides a highly-competitive remuneration plan and an excellent working environment in a growing international firm focused on creating a sustainable economy for future generations. For more information about our company, please visit https://www.targray.com/careers