Axis Auto Finance is the fastest growing, publicly traded Canadian Finance company. We are an industry leader in our field and our people make us a great place to work. As a team, we continuously seek new and innovative ways to grow our business. Our agile, high energy culture rewards top performance and the contributions of those passionate about our collective growth and success. We're incredibly proud of the team we have built and are looking for a like-minded individual to help us in our growth trajectory.
The Paralegal will assist the company’s legal department in many facets of litigation from preparation of legal documents and pleadings to court proceedings, through recovery and realization. The Paralegal will carry out tasks including but not limited to: setting and maintaining a legal process that culminates in recovery of assets and realization of amounts outstanding to the company; drafting court documents; and correspondence; reviewing court and other legal documents; legal research; and advising on as well as providing the Management team with legal assistance. This position reports to the Director, Litigation.
- Drafting of correspondence, pleadings (including Statement of Claim, Statement of Defence, Notice of Motion, Affidavits) and any/all documentation in relation to Small Claims Court process
- Preparation for and attendance at hearings and trials, including legal strategy, legal research, gathering of relevant information to the case from any and all sources in and outside the company, and witness preparation. Some travel required.
- Interface with and support of collections and external legal counsel on legal and realization matters
- Administrative tasks: filing, answering phone calls, maintaining and organizing reference files
- Other duties as required
- Paralegal Diploma
- Fully Licensed by the Law Society of Ontario
- 3+ years experience in a Litigation firm or similar environment relating to Small Claims Court
- Ability to effectively administer the legal process flow, and personnel within the legal department
- Ability to meet and exceed expected targets for recovery and realization levels
- Able to communicate clearly and effectively both verbally and in writing
- In-depth knowledge of legal concepts, terminology, court rules practices and procedures
- Attention to detail in all areas of work
- Able to improvise and work well under pressure
- Show intuition, initiative and be highly motivated
- Good PC skills including databases, as well as using Microsoft Excel and Word
- Professional appearance and manners
- Able to work efficiently as a team as well as independently
- Able to deal with people sensitively, tactfully, diplomatically and professionally
- High level of discretion and confidentiality
- Experience in Automotive Industry (Consumer Lending) is an asset
- Critical and Analytical Thinking
- Attention to Detail
- Interpersonal (Ability to work in a team environment)
- Planning and Organization
- Excellent Time Management Skills
- Organizational Skills
Compensation will be competitive and commensurate with related work experience and qualifications. Potential employees will be required to complete reference checks as part of the pre-employment process, if you excel in a fast-paced environment with dynamic and challenging results-driven work, your possibilities are endless.
We are an equal opportunity employer and will provide accommodations during the recruitment process upon request. We thank all applicants for their interest; however, only candidates under consideration will be contacted.