- Great West Life
- London or Toronto, ON
- Lawyer - In House Counsel
- Area of Practice
- Insurance Law, Labour & Employment Law
- Job Type
- Full time
- Minimum Level of Education
- Professional degree - LL.B
- Minimum Number of Years in Practice
- 4-10 years
We are proud to announce that Canada Life will become our company brand under which our three companies service – Great West Life, London Life, and Canada Life.
Together, Great-West Life, London Life and Canada Life have been in the business of keeping promises for over a century. The new Canada Life brand combines the strengths of all three – so we can better deliver on our purpose: To improve the financial, physical and mental well-being of Canadians.
We are excited about this journey. To find out more about our story, click here
This is an exciting opportunity to become part of a strong team of legal professionals supporting one of Canada’s leading financial services companies.
Reporting to the Assistant Vice-President & Senior Counsel, you will be a key member of the legal team providing support to our Canadian business units by providing practical and timely legal advice on strategic and tactical business issues. Your work will be wide-ranging and will provide the opportunity to develop expertise in dynamic practice areas. You will work with a highly accomplished team of legal professionals and your responsibilities will include:
- Contributing as a member of the Legal Team bringing your experience and creative legal skills to provide practical solutions to our businesses
- Working closely with the business on select projects providing legal advice to further the business goals and meeting our client’s needs
- Developing the legal structures for new and innovative investment products and services, and providing advice to our mutual fund dealer
- Supporting compliance, legislative and regulatory matters
- Drafting and interpretation of contracts
- Involvement in the resolution of disputes
Qualifications and Competencies:
- Law Degree, Member of a Provincial Bar in good standing
- 4+ years relevant legal work experience in the areas of insurance, human resources, pension law or pension governance would be an asset
- Self-motivated with the ability to work well independently and as part of a team
- Strong drafting, legal and communication skills with a practical solution-oriented approach
- Highly focused with attention to detail
- Proven analytical and problem-solving skills with experience simplifying and resolving complex problems
- Superior organizational and time management skills with experience addressing multiple projects at once
Please note: Location preference is London, ON however consideration may also be given to candidates located in Toronto, ON.
Discover your opportunity….Apply today!
Great-West Life offers competitive compensation, great benefits such as medical, dental, life insurance, wellness account and personal days not to mention onsite cafeteria and fitness in our head office facilities. If you’d like to join our team submit your information online and introduce yourself.
Together Great-West Life, London Life and Canada Life serve the financial security needs of more than 13 million people across Canada, with additional operations in Europe and the United States. As members of the Power Financial Corporation group of companies, we’re one of Canada’s leading insurers with interests in life insurance, health insurance, investment and retirement savings. We offer a broad portfolio of financial and benefit plan solutions for individuals, families, businesses and organizations.
We are committed to providing an inclusive, accessible environment, where all employees and customers feel valued, respected and supported. We are dedicated to building a workforce that reflects the diversity of the communities in which we live, and to creating an environment where every employee has the opportunity to reach their potential.
Great-West Lifeco would like to thank all applicants, however only those who qualify for an interview will be contacted.