- Wawanesa Insurance
- Winnipeg, Edmonton, Calgary, Toronto
- Lawyer - In House Counsel, Lawyer - Other
- Area of Practice
- Insurance Law, Compliance, Financial Services
- Job Type
- Full time
- Minimum Level of Education
- Professional degree - LL.B
- Minimum Number of Years in Practice
- 4-10 years
Wawanesa Mutual Insurance is one of the largest property and casualty insurers in Canada with $3 billion in annual revenues and assets of more than $9 billion. Wawanesa Mutual, founded in 1896 with executive offices in Winnipeg, is the parent company of Wawanesa General, which offers property and casualty insurance in California and Oregon, and Wawanesa Life, which distributes life insurance products and services throughout Canada. With over 3,500 employees, Wawanesa proudly serves over two million policyholders through nine regional offices and 41 service offices in Canada and the United States. Wawanesa actively gives back to organizations that strengthen communities where it operates, donating well above internationally recognized benchmarks for excellence in corporate philanthropy.
We are currently looking for dedicated, driven, and enthusiastic individuals who thrive in an environment that welcomes change and are looking for an opportunity for diverse experience, advancement on a growing team.
The Senior Compliance Specialist is a key player in Wawanesa’s compliance regime. Working under the supervision of the Director, Compliance, the Senior Compliance Specialist is a senior compliance subject matter expert who guides, educates, advises and monitors business team members handling first line of defense compliance activities. He or she also reviews applicable laws, regulations and best practices and develops and uses compliance program processes, procedures and tools in order to further enhance and refine Wawanesa’s compliance program, and works closely with other members of Wawanesa’s Ethics, Compliance and Legal group to advance group and enterprise-wide objectives, including providing advice and support to Compliance Specialists.
- Advises the business on the development and implementation of compliance processes, procedures and tools to mitigate compliance risks for the business
- Provides guidance, advice and support to Compliance Specialists and other members of the Ethics, Compliance and Legal group.
- Leads the control effectiveness self-assessments conducted by the business, and follows up on management action plan items
- Works with the Director, Compliance to provide regular reports on compliance events and activities, and the overall state of compliance programs to the Vice President, General Counsel and Chief Compliance Officer, and senior leadership within the business
- Identifies learning opportunities, coordinating training development and delivering training to the business on new or changed regulatory or other developments requiring compliance oversight
- Develops and enhances business relationships by liaising with peers within the business , including employees involved in first line of defense compliance activities
- Works with and under the direction of the Director, Compliance and with other members of the Ethics, Complaince and Legal group and business stakeholders to assist with the development of new compliance practices and processes, and enhancement of existing compliance practices and processes
- Coordinates and executes projects assigned by the Director, Compliance and the Vice President, General Counsel and Chief Compliance Officer
- Performs other duties as assigned
- 5 years’ prior experience in a compliance setting, preferably working for a federally regulated financial institution; experience in Property & Casualty Insurance preferred
- Post-secondary education with a focus on legal, business or accounting matters (or equivalencies) required. Completion of a Juris Doctor (JD) or Bachelor of Laws (LLB) degree an asset
- Knowledge of the insurance industry experience an asset
- Knowledge of Microsoft Office Suite
- Excellent analytical and problem-solving skills, with the ability to conduct detailed analysis of information, and to select and implement best solutions in a timely manner
- Exceptional written and oral communication skills, with the ability to communicate at the right level for the audience and present information or arguments in a convincing manner
- Excellent planning and organizing skills, with the ability to develop and prioritize effective plans that define activities, resources and timelines
- Excellent attention to detail with the ability to influence key relationships
Wawanesa provides its employees with a respectful, challenging and rewarding environment where they can maximize their potential while contributing to the company’s goals. Our employees are provided with highly competitive compensation packages (salaries, generous vacation allowance, leave top up, goal achievement plan, premium free benefits and a pension plan). Wawanesa provides a stable and rewarding environment for its employees in today’s challenging markets.
If you are interested in this exciting, challenging position with Wawanesa, apply today with your Resume.
Accommodations are available as needed for all applicants.