- Wawanesa Insurance
- Winnipeg, Edmonton, Calgary, Toronto
- Lawyer - In House Counsel, Lawyer - Other
- Area of Practice
- Insurance Law, Compliance, Financial Services
- Job Type
- Full time
- Minimum Level of Education
- Professional degree - LL.B
- Minimum Number of Years in Practice
- 1-3 years
Wawanesa Mutual Insurance is one of the largest property and casualty insurers in Canada with $3 billion in annual revenues and assets of more than $9 billion. Wawanesa Mutual, founded in 1896 with executive offices in Winnipeg, is the parent company of Wawanesa General, which offers property and casualty insurance in California and Oregon, and Wawanesa Life, which distributes life insurance products and services throughout Canada. With over 3,500 employees, Wawanesa proudly serves over two million policyholders through nine regional offices and 41 service offices in Canada and the United States. Wawanesa actively gives back to organizations that strengthen communities where it operates, donating well above internationally recognized benchmarks for excellence in corporate philanthropy.
We are currently looking for dedicated, driven, and enthusiastic individuals who thrive in an environment that welcomes change and are looking for an opportunity for diverse experience, advancement on a growing team.
The Compliance Specialist is a key player in Wawanesa’s compliance regime. Working under direct supervision, this role contributes to Wawanesa’s success by reviewing applicable laws, regulations and best practices and provides advice and guidance to Wawanesa’s businesses. The Compliance Specialist also assists in the development and assessment of compliance program processes, procedures and tools to further enhance and refine Wawanesa’s compliance program, to achieve enterprise-wide objectives.
- Advises the business on the development and implementation of compliance processes, procedures and tools to mitigate compliance risks for the business
- Tracks compliance events and key activities through the compliance log and provides advice to first line of defense employees on dealing with compliance events
- Leads the control effectiveness self-assessments conducted by the business, and follows up on management action plan items
- Compiles and provides reports on compliance events and activities, and the overall state of compliance programs to various levels of senior leadership within the business
Tracks legislative and regulatory developments and communicates changes to Ethics, Compliance and Legal group and business stakeholders
Identifies learning opportunities, coordinates training development and delivers training to the business on new or changed regulatory or other developments requiring compliance oversight
- Develops and enhances business relationships by liaising with peers within the business, including employees involved in first line of defense compliance activities
- Works with other members of the Ethics, Compliance and Legal group and business stakeholders to assist with the development of new compliance practices and processes, and enhancement of existing compliance practices and processes
- Participates in special projects as assigned
- Performs other duties as assigned
- Minimum 3 years’ prior experience in a compliance setting, preferably working for a federally regulated financial institution; experience in Property & Casualty Insurance preferred
- Post-secondary education with a focus on legal, business or public policy matters required (or equivalencies) required. Completion of a Juris Doctor (JD) or Bachelor of Laws (LLB) degree an asset
- Knowledge of Microsoft Office Suite
- Excellent analytical and problem-solving skills, with the ability to conduct detailed analysis of information, and to select and implement best solutions in a timely manner
- Exceptional written and oral communication skills, with the ability to communicate at the right level for the audience and present information or arguments in a convincing manner
- Excellent planning and organizing skills, with the ability to develop and prioritize effective plans that define activities, resources and timelines
- Excellent attention to detail with the ability to influence key relationships
Wawanesa provides its employees with a respectful, challenging and rewarding environment where they can maximize their potential while contributing to the company’s goals. Our employees are provided with highly competitive compensation packages (salaries, generous vacation allowance, leave top up, goal achievement plan, premium free benefits and a pension plan). Wawanesa provides a stable and rewarding environment for its employees in today’s challenging markets.
If you are interested in this exciting, challenging position with Wawanesa, apply today with your Resume.
Accommodations are available as needed for all applicants.