- Skyline Group of Companies
- Guelph, ON
- Lawyer - In House Counsel
- Area of Practice
- Commercial Real Estate Law
- Job Type
- Full time
- Minimum Level of Education
- Professional degree - LL.B
- Minimum Number of Years in Practice
- 1-3 years
As a result of our continued growth, we are seeking candidates for a position of In-House Counsel, Commercial Real Estate located in our Head Office in Guelph, ON.
We are searching for an accomplished Commercial Lawyer with experience in Real Estate to act as an associate and provide general legal and other advice and guidance on a broad range of topics related to all facets of the company’s business, with a specific emphasis on the real estate aspects of the business (buying, selling, financing and managing commercial real estate, including multi-unit residential buildings). This position also ensures maximum protection for Skyline and its group of companies and the efficient delivery of legal services as they pertain to Skyline's core real estate business while supporting our shared goal of creating meaningful value and an exceptional experience for our customers, our people and our communities.
What we look for:
- A broad foundation of legal concepts, experience and applications relevant to the practice of commercial real estate law.
- Knowledge of all aspects of real estate transactions including land division in Ontario, land registration systems, surveys, title insurance, title and off title searching, ownership, agreements of purchase and sale, financing and related documents, leasing, applicable statutes, purchasing, selling,closing the transaction, etc.
- Familiarity with and experience in the various types of business structures such as the corporate and administrative procedures involved in preparing and filing articles of incorporation, amendments, limited partnerships etc.
- Must be familiar with legislation governing the formation and operation of a corporation.
- Familiarity with leasing documents, including agreements to lease, leases, extensions, renewals, and lease negotiation practices.
- Knowledge of Teraview required and Conveyancer and FastCompany an asset.
- Member in good standing with the Law Society of Upper Canada, and able to practice law in Ontario.
- Minimum two (2) years of demonstrated commercial and multi-residential real estate legal experience required.
- Experience with commercial leasing is considered an asset.
Why you want to work here:
- Analytical skills and ability to interpret law is your super power.
- Working for a growing company that supports environmental stewardship and social responsibilities is a must for you.
- You're a master multi-tasker and get a charge out of remaining extremely detail-oriented.
- No task is too big or too small for you; you demonstrate a can-do attitude and appreciate the many opportunities we have to learn each day (there's always something new at Skyline!).
- Operating under pressure and meeting a tight deadline is your favourite way to work.
- You're funny (or at least think you are) and that helps you to withstand stress while ensuring accuracy and thoroughness.
- You get a thrill from staying organized and time management is your “thing”.
- Being part of a great team has been your dream.
- You want to work for a company that supports work-life balance and truly cares that you are fulfilled in your life.
The Skyline Group of Companies is a fully integrated investment management organization: grounded in real estate, powered by people, and growing for the future. Every aspect of Skyline is managed with the utmost care and attention to detail, from consulting with investors to fostering a sense of community at each and every one of its properties.
We offer our employees competitive pay, benefits, paid volunteer day, on-going training, growth potential and so much more. Our workplace culture empowers staff at all levels to become involved in supporting and building vibrant communities.
Come be a part of Skyline – Building Careers and Communities!