In-House Legal and Compliance Counsel (1+ year contract)
- OTT Financial Group
- Toronto, ON
- Lawyer - In House Counsel
- Area of Practice
- Corporate/Commercial Law, Compliance
- Job Type
- Full time
- Minimum Level of Education
- Professional degree - LL.B
- Minimum Number of Years in Practice
- 4-10 years
The OTT Group of Companies (OTT Group) operates multiple lines of business in Canada’s financial services industry. Registered with federal and provincial regulatory bodies, key members of the Group are OTT Financial Canada Inc., OTT Capital Corp., OTT Financial Inc., and OTT Pay Inc.
Our services include securities and derivatives trading, portfolio and investment fund management, foreign exchange and international remittance, and smart payment solutions.
We are seeking an experienced In-house Legal and Compliance Counsel to work closely with the management of our payment business, to draft and negotiate commercial agreements, to review internal policies and procedures from legal perspective, to interpret applicable laws and regulations, and to provide legal advice on business operations.
• The successful candidate will be business-minded, pragmatic and able to work autonomously in a fast-paced environment;
• Review, negotiate and draft contracts between the company and its customers, partners suppliers
• Draft and review internal policies and procedures to support business operation
• Carry out ongoing review, monitoring and analysis of business activity, advising and recommending new or changes of internal policies and procedures to the Senior Management
• Keep abreast of all new legislation and regulatory requirements related to the business and incorporate any related updates on AML/ATF and privacy to the internal policies and procedures
• Research and interpret laws and regulations applicable to current business and new offerings
• Inform management on the development of regulatory trends and their impact on business operations and recommend courses of action
• Provide legal guidance and support on corporate policy and governance matters
• Coordinate external legal resources when needed
• Ad-hoc responsibilities that are required from time to time
Key Skills and Qualifications:
• Law degree (LLB/JD); member of Law Society of Ontario
• Solid understanding of payment business and merchant services would be considered an asset
• Demonstrated work knowledge of the Canadian regulatory environment, applicable laws, regulations, industry practices and practical application of controls related to AML/ATF and privacy laws
• Demonstrated ability to provide practical legal advice in a business environment
• Excellent problem-solving skills
• 5+ years of relevant legal experience in-house or at a leading law firm
• Excellent judgment, logical thinking, and analytical skills
• Excellent written skills to ensure a proper level of professionalism in external communication
• Demonstrated ability to prioritize, work under pressure, work as a flexible team player
• Must be fluent in English. Fluency in other languages will be an asset
We provide a comprehensive compensation package and a variety of opportunities for you to grow in a dynamic, collaborative, progressive, and high-performing team. Apply now to unleash your full potential.
We thank all applicants for their interest; however, only those candidates selected for an interview will be contacted.
Accommodations for job applicants with disabilities are available upon request.