Brookfield Asset Management (BAM) is a global alternative asset manager with ~$385 billion in assets under management. We have over a 100-year history of owning and operating assets with a focus on real estate, renewable power, infrastructure and private equity. Our assets are held through a growing portfolio of private funds and public, listed entities. Brookfield is publicly listed on the NYSE, TSX and Euronext Amsterdam.
The Law Clerk will work closely with the rest of the legal team, including internal lawyers and other law clerks as well as the Investments, Treasury and Finance teams. The legal team here is responsible for all corporate transactional matters within the Private Equity platform under BAM.
- Provide paralegal services to Brookfield Private Equity companies (Canada and U.S.)
- Draft and/or review legal documents and resolutions to support acquisitions, dispositions, financings, and corporate and tax restructuring matters
- Lliaise with internal legal counsel and outside counsel and Brookfield tax groups; prepare officer certificates and notarial certificates
- Formation and dissolution of entities
- Maintain minute books and corporate entity database (Diligent, formerly Blueprint) from formation through to dissolution
- Prepare and maintain organizational charts in Visio
- Corporate annual report /return filings in Canada and U.S.
- Draft minutes/resolutions for 200+ private companies, in both Canada and the U.S
- Foreign U.S. qualifications and Canadian extra-provincial registrations
- Organizational resolutions and bylaws and LLC operating agreements
- Perform various corporate searches and perform various corporate on-line registrations and attend in person at the Ontario Ministry of Government Services Companies Branch
- Document flows of funds, including capital contributions, dividends, returns of capital and distributions; document transfers of interests; implement changes to director and officer slates; draft special approvals; maintain organization charts, etc.
- Diploma from a recognized Law Clerk program certified with The Institute of Law Clerks of Ontario (or qualifying legal experience with an outstanding performance record)
- 8-10 years of experience as a corporate law clerk working in a law firm or in-house legal department of large public company
- Excellent communication (verbal and written) and organizational skills
- Proficient in MS Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Visio and corporate legal records software/database
- Familiarity with various Canadian and provincial corporate registry on-line and paper filings and searches and U.S. Secretary of State business entity searches and filings
- Ability to work independently with minimal supervision, as well as in a group with other legal and tax colleagues