- York Region
- Richmond Hill, ON
- $34.48 to $37.48 per hour
- Legal Assistant, Legal Administrative Assistant
- Job Type
- Temporary, Full time
- Minimum Level of Education
- Certificate from community college
- Minimum Number of Years in Practice
- 1-3 years
This is a Replacement
Union position - CUPE Local 905 (York Region Unit)
0800 – 1645
Reporting to the Supervisor, Court Administration, is responsible for providing court administration support for the progress of matters filed with the Ontario Court of Justice; preparing correspondence and receiving and accepting court documents for the Ontario Court of Justice, Superior Court of Justice and Ontario Court of Appeal; scheduling court dockets, preparing statistical reports, maintaining court records and responding to various stakeholder enquiries; completing special projects as assigned; receiving, responding to and tracking requests, inquiries, motions, impersonations and appeals
• Reviews, accepts, enters and files all incoming charges as filed by various enforcement agencies and ensures strict adherence to statutory time limits; liaises with enforcement agencies to return matters filed out of time; maintains reconciliation of tickets sent to and returned from keying agency.
• Reviews all incoming Part 3 informations from outside agencies that have been sworn by Justice of the Peace and enters all information into the Integrated Court Offence Network (ICON).
• Reviews all forms (appeal papers, motions, recognizances) filed with the court office; screens all incoming Notices of Intention to Appear and First Attendance requests from defendants.
• Provides administrative and support services to Supervisor and Manager.
• Prepares draft correspondence and other written documentation and offence related material.
• Accepts service of documents, as agent for the Prosecution Unit, and verifies accuracy and completeness; prepares documents for scanning and saving to the E-doc system as required.
• Sets up, organizes, maintains and keeps up to date manual and electronic records and filing systems in accordance with Regional standards and procedures; ensures security for hard copy and electronic files for the program area.
• Performs filing in accordance with the Corporate Records and Information Management Classification Coding system and Department policies and Ministry of the Attorney General guidelines.
• Ensures that services provided meet Regional customer service standards and Ministry of Attorney General (MAG) directives as well as local judicial requirements.
• Provides assistance to victims and witnesses to various charges filed with the Court.
• Performs other duties as assigned, in accordance with Branch and Department objectives.
• Successful completion of a Post Secondary Diploma/Certificate (1 year or more) in Business Administration or Professional Program or related field or approved equivalent combination of education and experience.
• Minimum three (3) years experience in an office environment, including demonstrated legal or court experience using the Integrated Court Offences Network (ICON) database to retrieve and access data.
• Satisfactory Police Criminal Background Check.
• Knowledge of Provincial Offences and Highway Traffic Acts.
• Knowledge of and demonstrated ability in corporate core competencies including customer service, communication, team work, initiative /self management and accountability, and flexibility/adaptability.
• Knowledge of general office procedures including records management system.
HOW TO APPLY
Please apply online by October 14, 2019 at 4:30 p.m. We thank all candidates for their interest, however only those selected for an interview will be contacted via email.