Senior Counsel, Personal Banking Products
- Toronto, ON
- Lawyer - In House Counsel
- Area of Practice
- Banking & Finance
- Job Type
- Full time
- Minimum Level of Education
- Professional degree - LL.B
- Minimum Number of Years in Practice
- 4-10 years
What is the opportunity?
The Senior Counsel, Personal Banking Products - Lending and Auto Finance will provide strategic legal services to Personal Financing Products, Home Equity Financing, Auto Finance (indirect lending), Group Banking, and Canadian Private Banking on a broad range of matters, including acting as senior mortgage law expert for collateral and residential mortgages. The role includes providing advice on product development, amendments and ongoing operation, advising of legal and regulatory requirements affecting the businesses’ activities and operations, and working with Global Compliance and business partners on regulatory matters, including emerging regulatory changes.
What will you do?
- Identify, assess and manage legal, reputational and regulatory risk relating to Personal Financing Products, Auto Finance, Home Equity Financing and Canadian Private Banking
- Deliver sound, creative and cost-effective legal advice, demonstrating expert knowledge in areas of legal specialization
- Act as senior legal expert for development and ongoing operations of lending products and services offered to non-business clients
- Advise business units of anticipated changes in legal/regulatory requirements affecting their activities and operations
- Manage the cost and performance of external counsel on a limited basis
What do you need to succeed?
- High level of proficiency in specialized and complex areas of law, particularly secured lending, mortgages and conditional sales contracts.
- Law degree (Common Law or Civil Law) from a recognized law school
- Member in good standing of the Bar of a Canadian province/territory
- Strong communication skills – written and oral
- 7+ years of experience in the relevant areas of practice
- Comfortable managing competing priorities and making independent decisions, and prepared to work in agile environments
- The ability to prioritize and work in a team environment
- Ability to work in Toronto
- Consumer regulatory experience
- A working knowledge of French would be an asset.
- Knowledge of both common law and civil law
What’s in it for you?
We thrive on the challenge to be our best, progressive thinking to keep growing, and working together to deliver trusted advice to help our clients thrive and communities prosper. We care about each other, reaching our potential, making a difference to our communities, and achieving success that is mutual.
- Ability to make a difference and lasting impact
- Work in a dynamic, collaborative, progressive, and high-performing team
- Opportunities to take on progressively greater accountabilities
Royal Bank of Canada is a global financial institution with a purpose-driven, principles-led approach to delivering leading performance. Our success comes from the 84,000+ employees who bring our vision, values and strategy to life so we can help our clients thrive and communities prosper. As Canada’s biggest bank, and one of the largest in the world based on market capitalization, we have a diversified business model with a focus on innovation and providing exceptional experiences to more than 16 million clients in Canada, the U.S. and 34 other countries. Learn more at rbc.com Opens a New Window. .
We are proud to support a broad range of community initiatives through donations, community investments and employee volunteer activities. See how at rbc.com/community-sustainability Opens a New Window. .
Inclusion and Equal Opportunity Employment
RBC is an equal opportunity employer committed to diversity and inclusion. We are pleased to consider all qualified applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, disability, protected veterans status, Aboriginal/Native American status or any other legally-protected factors. Disability-related accommodations during the application process are available upon request.
Address: 200 Bay St.
Work Hours/Week: 37.5
Work Environment: Office
Employment Type: Permanent
Career Level: Experienced Hire/Professional
Pay Type: Salaried
Position Level: PL07
Required Travel(%): 0-25
People Manager: No
Application Deadline: 10/11/2019
Req ID: 199033