- Ontario Medical Association (OMA)
- Toronto, ON
- Lawyer - In House Counsel
- Area of Practice
- Corporate/Commercial Law, Health Law, Contract Law
- Job Type
- Contract, Full time
- Minimum Level of Education
- Professional degree - LL.B
- Minimum Number of Years in Practice
- 1-3 years
Reporting to the General Counsel/Director of Legal, the Legal Counsel is responsible for providing legal advice to the OMA and its subsidiaries, legal assistance and services to the Association and its members.
- Supports Director, Legal, to provide professional legal services and expertise to the OMA, its subsidiaries, as well as to Physicians and OMA constituencies, reviewing and researching issues, analyzing and interpreting legal texts/contracts/case laws, identifying areas of risk and vulnerability, providing legal advice and recommending strategies/tactics to mitigate risks and limit liabilities and exposure.
- Supports Director, Legal, in negotiating agreements on behalf of the OMA, reviewing documents and reports, analyzing contract/agreement details, determining degrees of risk and exposure, documenting outcomes of meetings and discussions, developing strategies and tactics to advocate on client’s behalf and ensuring relevant information is communicated, distributed and appropriately filed.
- Responds to requests and queries from OMA members, providing interpretations, explanations and guidance around legal contracts, agreements and tactics, and managing client relationships to steer and influence outcomes.
- Develops strong, collaborative working relationships internal and external stakeholders to understand activities and legal/business issues, identify opportunities to leverage resources and share information, collaborate on projects and initiatives and influence outcomes.
Education: Law Degree; LLB/JD, LSUC membership.
Experience: 2-4 years health law, contract, and/or corporate law experience.