Ardenton Capital Corporation (“Ardenton”) is a global private equity corporation built on meaningful business partnerships and the pursuit of long-term growth. Working strategically and collaboratively to nurture management teams, Ardenton does not have a clock ticking to divest of portfolio assets; rather, we invest in good businesses and commit to making them great with a long-term perspective on value creation.
Based in Vancouver, BC, the Vice President, Legal Affairs and Chief Privacy Officer position is responsible for leading Ardenton’s legal department while providing general legal advice on a broad range of topics related to all facets of Ardenton’s business, with an emphasis on corporate finance and securities, general corporate/commercial, employment, and privacy compliance matters.
Responsibilities and Duties
- Manage, support and mitigate all legal matters associated with a private equity corporation
- Provide leadership to the senior management team in all aspects relating to the delivery of a world class legal department
- Give accurate and timely counsel to executives and management relating to a variety of legal topics (corporate finance and securities, corporate/commercial, employment, real property, corporate secretarial and governance law, among others)
- Identify legal issues, research, and analyze complicated situations quickly and develop practical solutions in an efficient and timely manner
- Apply effective risk management techniques and offer proactive advice on possible legal issues
- Draft and solidify agreements and other legal documents to ensure Ardenton’s full legal rights
- Communicate, negotiate and build rapport with external parties (regulators, external counsel, and others)
- Manage complex matters with multiple stakeholders
- Maintain current knowledge of changes in the relevant areas of law
- Contribute to the development of new ideas and approaches to improve work processes
- Conduct your work with integrity and responsibility
- Manage legal resource(s) through the full performance management cycle (hire, develop, coach, lead)
- Prepare and manage Ardenton’s budget for legal expenses
- Develop, implement and maintain privacy policies; manage privacy-related training; and respond to requests for access to personal information
Qualifications and Skills
- Analytical thinker with superior research, writing and verbal communications skills, and the ability to interpret and apply law
- Strong corporate finance and securities, corporate/commercial experience gained at a top tier Canadian law firm (experience with issues related to private equity firms and offerings)
- Capacity to draft high quality documents including private placement subscriptions, channel partnership agreements, offering memoranda, letters of intent, demand/term notes, non-disclosure agreements, general corporate/commercial documents and loan agreements
- Exposure to corporate secretarial and governance matters
- Working knowledge of capital markets regulatory regime and distribution of exempt market products
- Cross-jurisdictional legal and regulatory experience would be considered an asset (particularly U.S and UK)
- Understand the big picture while maintaining strict attention to details
- Self-starter and self-reliant; ability to work effectively with minimal supervision
- Strong organizational and time management skills
- Productive worker in a fast-paced challenging work environment
- Demonstrated tact, discretion and ability to work under pressure
- No task is too big or too small for you; you demonstrate a can-do attitude and appreciate the many opportunities we have to learn each day (there's always something new at Ardenton)
Education and Qualifications
- Bachelor’s degree in law (LL.B. or J.D.) from a Canadian common law school
- Member, in good standing, of the Bar in British Columbia
- 8+ years post call experience acquired in a large firm and/or in-house legal department
- Significant in-house experience in a dynamic environment is preferred.
- Previous privacy compliance experience is an asset.
We thank all applicants and advise that only those selected for further consideration will be contacted. Please do not reach out to any of the Ardenton team members directly regarding this role.
Ardenton is an equal opportunity employer. Every effort will be made to provide accommodations requested by candidates taking part in all aspects of the selection process.
Similar searches: Lawyer - In House Counsel