- Vancouver, BC
- Lawyer - In House Counsel
- Area of Practice
- Commercial Real Estate Law, Financial Services
- Job Type
- Full time
- Minimum Level of Education
- Professional degree - LL.B
- Minimum Number of Years in Practice
- 4-10 years
Headquartered in Vancouver, Canada, QuadReal Property Group is a global real estate investment, operating and development company.
The company’s $27.4 billion portfolio spans 23 Global Cities across 17 countries. Owned by British Columbia Investment Management Corporation (BCI), formerly bcIMC, one of Canada’s largest institutional investors, QuadReal was established to manage its real estate investment portfolio.
QuadReal aims to deliver prudent growth and strong investment returns, and to create and sustain environments that bring value to the people and communities it serves. Now and for generations to come.
QuadReal: Excellence lives here.
You will be responsible for providing legal support and oversight for QuadReal’s Mortgage Investments business team on direct commercial mortgage investments, joint ventures, fund investments, regulatory compliance and other investment and mortgage servicing matters for QuadReal’s $3.6 billion and growing global portfolio of commercial, construction and mezzanine mortgage investments.
This role supports QuadReal’s Mortgage Investments business team headquartered in Victoria, British Columbia, and may be based out of QuadReal’s Victoria, Vancouver, Toronto or New York City office. Reporting to the Chief Legal Officer, you will primarily:
- Provide responsive, business-minded legal advice with respect to stabilized, bridge, commercial, construction, mezzanine preferred equity and other debt financing transactions, presently focused on target markets in the United States and Canada.
- Review and negotiate lending documentation such as loan agreements, commitment letters, partnership and joint venture agreements, warehouse line lending agreements and non-disclosure agreements.
- Review and negotiate loan syndication and fractional loan interest sale agreements (pari passu & senior), participation agreements, inter-creditor agreements, and leveraged loan portfolio credit agreements.
- Supervise and, together with business teams, direct external legal counsel on lending, syndication and financing activities.
- Work closely with external counsel and QuadReal’s tax and compliance teams to develop, implement and maintain efficient business structures, including in connection with future expansion into new global markets.
- Develop and maintain standard practices, legal documentation precedents, policies and best practices for mortgage investment activities.
- Provide training and educational seminars to the Mortgage Investments team and, as applicable, other parts of QuadReal’s business.
- Together with the investment and mortgage servicing teams, play a frontline role in identifying, implementing, amending and enhancing QuadReal’s policies, procedures and risk management practices.
- If applicable, assist with special situations and loan workout arrangements.
- Establish legal budgets and approve legal invoices in connection with mortgage investment activities.
- Provide legal advice in respect of various issues that may arise from the day-to-day management of the mortgage investments portfolio, including mortgage licensing, regulatory compliance matters and other miscellaneous matters pertaining to any aspect of QuadReal’s business and governance.
KNOWLEDGE, EXPERIENCE & SKILLS
Required level of education, qualification and job-related of experience:
- Lawyer qualified to practice law in a Canadian common law province or New York.
- Minimum of eight years post-call experience, preferably through a combination of experience in-house and at a major law firm.
- Considerable transactional experience with most of the following: commercial mortgage lending, joint ventures, fund investments and large institutional or pension fund investors.
- Thrives in a fast-paced, transaction-focused environment.
- Collaborative, proactive, detail-oriented and hard-working team player who welcomes rolling up their sleeves and is creative and solution-oriented.
- Excellent analytical, problem-solving and negotiating skills, business judgment, as well as strategic legal and critical thinking.
- Exceptional ability to distill and concisely communicate complex legal issues and assert clear and strongly supported recommendations and decisions, whether orally or in writing.
- Enjoys working on multiple projects concurrently with tight deadlines.
- Works independently with minimal supervision while keeping team members informed of status and all material developments and decisions.
- Eagerness to develop a deep understanding of QuadReal and an appreciation of how legal and business decisions impact the broader organization.
DECISION MAKING ACCOUNTABILITY
- Makes decisions on legal and regulatory matters related to QuadReal’s portfolio of commercial mortgage lending investments.
- Exercises an influential role in business decisions by providing guidance, recommendations and risk analysis regarding legal and regulatory matters.
- Instructs external counsel and approves invoices.
QuadReal Property Group will provide reasonable accommodation at any time throughout the hiring process for applicants with disabilities or for those needing job postings in an alternate format. If you require accommodation, please advise the Talent Acquisition team member you are working with and include the following: Job posting #, your name and your preferred method of contact.
Want to learn about our end-to-end recruitment process? Click this link for a short video that will take you through each step, so you’ll know exactly what to expect.