Our Montreal office is currently recruiting for a Bilingual Litigation Paralegal to join our litigation practice. In this role, you will work in the Litigation group providing support to the partners and associates. You will have a great level of autonomy in generating and managing your workload. The ideal candidate will have a good understanding of the procedures and processes of the Federal Courts system (as well as Quebec courts) and the ability to draft documentation and correspondence of a substantive nature.
- Independently organizing, maintaining and managing the litigation files in a paperless environment
- Compiling motion records, books of authorities, exhibits and other court documents
- Assisting partners/associates in documentary discovery
- Preparing summaries of transcripts and lists of undertakings
- Conducting factual research and preparing affidavit evidence
- Preparing the process (including the logistics)
- Ensure that all deadlines and due dates are diarized and met
- Communicating with the courts, service providers and opposing counsel on file-related matters
- General administrative duties including time entry and file management
- Proactive in keeping up-to-date with changes relating to legal procedures and processes
- Other duties may be assigned or amended as required
Qualifications, competences and experience:
- Post-secondary education in the field of Legal Administration, Law Clerk, Paralegal, Law Degree or equivalent combination of education and relevant work experience
- Preference will be given to those candidates with experience in corporate/commercial or intellectual property litigation
- Working knowledge of the Quebec Code of Civil Procedures
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills
- Effective written and oral communications skills in both French and English
- Excellent attention to detail, time management skills, highly organized and proactive
- Ability to work independently under the supervision of a Partner/Associate, as well as collaboratively with the other team members
- Highly proficient in MS Office and case law databases (Quicklaw, Westlaw, Can LII, etc.)
- Ability to work in a high pressure environment
- Able to learn new software and technology quickly
- Ability to collaborate efficiently and effectively in teams and with a variety of individuals
Located in the heart of downtown Montreal, close to transit and amenities, Smart & Biggar offers a comprehensive total rewards package including:
- A competitive compensation structure based on transparency, clarity and fairness
- A flexible benefits program
- Personal days to help balance personal and professional commitments
- Employee referral program
If you are interested in applying to this opportunity, please submit your resume electronically through our Career Portal.
Smart & Biggar is a proud member of the Law Firm Diversity and Inclusion Network (LFDIN), working to promote diversity and encourage a culture of inclusion in our firms and the broader legal profession. We welcome application from all qualified individuals. Accommodations are available on request for candidates taking part in all aspects of the selection process.
We thank all applicants in advance for their interest; however, only those candidates selected for an interview will be contacted.