At Intact, insurance is not about things. It’s about people. It’s what we believe, and it shapes everything we do. It’s why we strive to provide a second-to-none experience for our customers and create an inspiring workplace for our employees to thrive in.
As Canada’s largest provider of property and casualty insurance, we’re not only leading our industry, but we’re redefining what it means to work for it. As a recognized top employer, we’re committed to living our values and supporting our dedicated people who bring their best to work each day because they know their work matters.
We’re looking for a Unit Manager, Legal Claims to join our growing team!
As a Unit Manager, your work will have a big impact on our Legal Support Team. People will count on you to lead a team of Law Clerks, Legal Assistants and Administrative Support members. This position reports to the Director, Legal Claims of the West region.
This position is full-time 12-month employment opportunity based in our Edmonton, AB office.
Here are a few ways you'll make a difference:
- Overseeing the day to day responsibilities of the Law Clerks, Legal Assistants and Administrative Support members
- Establishing and communicating clear performance objectives and continually measuring the progress on the attainment of these objectives
- Ensuring a high level of employee engagement by continually monitoring overall engagement and creating and executing engagement action plans
- Assessing the strengths and areas of opportunity for your team and putting forth recommendations for improvement
- Providing regular and ongoing feedback, mentoring and coaching to your team
- Identifying key talent and providing ongoing developmental opportunities for the optimization and engagement of our key talent
- Leading the recruitment process including but not limited to the interview and selection process and the onboarding of new employees
- Facilitating regular team meetings, one-on-one’s and huddles to ensure the two-way flow of information
- Assisting your team to understand and apply policies, procedures and theories
- Driving change while maintaining effective communication to ensure your team is informed of new initiatives, processes and/or workflows
- Participate and lead project-based tasks as assigned by Director and/or VP Legal Claims
Here are a few reasons why others have joined our team:
- An award-winning, inspiring workplace that supports its people and recognizes great work (Canada’s Top 100 Employers, Aon Platinum Best Employers, LinkedIn Top Company, Glassdoor Best Place to Work & Top CEO, Indeed Top-Rated Workplaces)
- Stimulating, challenging projects and development opportunities to help you grow your skills and career
- Flexibility in how and where you work
- An industry leading Employee Share Purchase Plan where we match 50% of net shares purchased
- A casual ‘dress for your day’ culture that encourages you to be yourself
- University Degree or College Diploma in relevant discipline (legal, paralegal or management)
- Minimum five (5) years experience in a litigation environment or equivalent relevant experience
- Minimum two (2) years management experience or equivalent relevant experience
- Proven and effective communication/interpersonal skills to develop and foster favourable relationships
- Proficient in Microsoft Office
We are an Equal Opportunity Employer
At Intact, our values guide everything that we do. We celebrate our differences and appreciate our similarities. That’s why we are committed to building an inclusive and inspiring environment for all employees. If you need a specific accommodation during the recruitment process, please let us know and we will be happy to provide.
Before receiving a job offer, you may be asked to consent to a background check if it’s a requirement for the role. This may include: verifying work references, validating education and credentials, employment verification, identity checks, reviewing credit reports, as well as criminal and driving record checks.
For internal candidates, you can apply for a posted position if you have been in your current position for at least 12 months and are performing at a satisfactory level. Please note we may have identified other internal candidates through our Employee Development Program, and that the selection process may also be opened to external applicants.
It’s important that you are legally eligible to work in Canada at the time an offer of employment is made. You may be requested to provide proof of eligibility at that time.