- City of Hamilton
- Hamilton, ON
- $29.299 - $34.269 per hour
- Legal Assistant
- Job Type
- Temporary, Full time
- Minimum Level of Education
- Certificate from community college
Reporting to the Manager, Legal Services, provides a comprehensive range of confidential secretarial and administrative support services affecting the operations of the Division. Maintains confidentiality required at law and by the Law Society of Upper Canada.
Provides support to management team, lawyers, law clerks and municipal prosecutors in the area of insurance defense and litigation.
Prepares, composes and proof reads correspondence and reports on a variety of confidential and routine matters. Drafts replies on non-routine matters for consideration and signature.
Prepares various legal documents and forms including briefs, Notice of Intent to Defend, Notice of Examinations, Affidavit of Documents.
Maintains a “tickler system” and ensures matters are recorded and brought forward for appropriate deadlines and to ensure that strict limitation periods are met. Ensures deadlines are adhered to and established procedures followed.
Maintains assigned portion of departmental file system by opening, closing and making arrangements for disposition (destruction based on retention period) and off-site storage.
Takes dictation and minutes of meetings. Performs transcription as required.
Schedules Examinations for Discovery and arranges meetings including preparation and distribution of agendas and other materials, booking meeting rooms, arranging set up of presentation equipment and food/beverages as required, and informing participants of same. Co-ordinate and arrange all travel, conference and course arrangements, and follows up as appropriate.
Inputs and retrieves data and generates reports from computer based information systems (i.e. LegalCM, ACL, TimeKM, employee training history and outside counsel invoices).
Sorts and distributes incoming and outgoing communications including correspondence and facsimile ensuring urgent matters are suitably expedited. Arranges courier pick up and delivery for packages.
Responsible for ensuring customer services function for the division including answering phones, responding to inquiries, receiving and announcing visitors.
Ensures timely processing of cheque requisitions, expense claims and prepares invoices for payment.
Responds to inquiries and liaises with other departments, government agencies, outside agencies, legal professionals, consultants, Council members and the public.
Assists other secretaries with overflow work.
Works in accordance with the provisions of applicable Health and Safety legislation and all City of Hamilton corporate and departmental policies and procedures related to Occupational Health and Safety.
Performs other duties as assigned which are directly related to the major responsibilities of the job.
1. Proven knowledge of legal secretary practices and procedures normally acquired by attaining a diploma in a Legal Secretarial course or an equivalent combination of education and work related experience.
2. Previous experience working in a legal environment.
3. Knowledge of the Ontario Civil Practice Rules of Civil Procedure, Federal Court Rules and Supreme Court of Canada Rules.
4. Ability and willingness to work congenially with multiple lawyers and law clerks and to become familiar with their practices.
5. Ability and willingness to assist with special projects as required advancing the goals and objectives of the Division.
6. Ability to communicate in a professional manner with staff, clients and legal professionals.
7. Strong time management, multi-tasking and organizational skills.
8. A team player with excellent interpersonal skills.
9. Ability to work independently by following instructions with minimal supervision, taking initiative and meeting tight deadlines.
10. Proficient in a computerized environment (i.e. Microsoft Outlook, Word, Excel and PowerPoint, ACL). Create and maintain tracking systems for training, invoices, off-site closed file storage and attendance.
11. Demonstrated ability to communicate effectively both verbally and in writing. Must demonstrate proficiency in Business English.
12. Working knowledge of general accounting principles in order to monitor accounts, maintain routine financial records and calculate invoices.
13. Ability to use general office equipment including telephone, dictaphone, transcription machine, printer, scanner, facsimile, calculator, binding machine and shredder.
Be advised that Human Resources frequently audits resumes of internal/external applicants to ensure/validate information provided is consistent and trustworthy. Falsification of information provided at any time throughout the recruitment process may be grounds for disqualification, and for internal applicants, subject to discipline up to and including termination.
The City is an equal opportunity employer that is committed to inclusive, barrier-free recruitment and selection processes. Consistent with our Values and Corporate Culture Pillars, the City of Hamilton is committed to providing equitable treatment to all with respect to barrier-free employment and accommodation without discrimination. The City will provide accommodation for applicants in all aspects of the hiring process, up to the point of undue hardship. If you have an accommodation need, please contact Human Resources as soon as possible to make appropriate arrangements.
We invite you to visit the departmental webpage to obtain further information on the culture and business of this department.
The incumbent shall comply with all Health and Safety Policies and Practices for this position and the workplace.
It is the responsibility of the applicants to ensure that their application reaches Human Resources by the closing date or they may not be considered. It is also the responsibility of applicants to supply qualifications, licences and related experience relevant to the qualifications outlined above for this competition as directed. On the basis of the criteria set out above, this posting is open to all applicants
The statements made by me are true, complete and correct to the best of my knowledge. I understand that any falsification of statements, misrepresentations, deliberate omission or concealment of information may be considered just cause for discipline, up to and including termination for internal applicants and disqualification for external applicants.