Legal Counsel III
The Workplace Safety and Insurance Board (WSIB) helps people overcome workplace injuries and illnesses and helps business owners make their workplaces safe and healthy. Our people are at the heart of what we do. Bring your enthusiasm and expertise to the WSIB, and we’ll help you achieve your personal and professional goals through meaningful work, development opportunities and a culture of compassion, integrity and teamwork.
We are the WSIB. And we’re here to help.
This is a 2 year (possibly 3 year) contract positon
The forward-thinking Legal Services Branch provides expert, timely and responsive legal counsel to every division of the Workplace Safety and Insurance Board. We are currently seeking a Commercial Lawyer with a strong information technology background to assist us for 2 (possibly 3) years as we support the WSIB’s digital transformation project. Public procurement experience is a definite asset.
Key Accountabilities and Responsibilities:
- Review, draft and negotiate a variety of commercial agreements, including, hardware, software, cloud and service-acquisition contracts
- Provide support through the entire procurement process
- Identify opportunities to make processes more efficient and effective
- Assist in the development of templates and tools
Requirements and Qualifications:
- The successful candidate must possess a Law Degree from a recognized institution and membership in good standing with the Law Society of Ontario
- 3 to 7 years relevant experience
- Excellent communication, analytical, organizational and interpersonal skills
- Computer and data literacy as well as experience identifying process efficiency opportunities
- Ability to work independently with a minimum of support resources while actively contributing to a multidisciplinary team
- Committed, motivated, pragmatic, results-oriented, strong business acumen and collegial
As a precondition of employment, the WSIB will require a prospective candidate to undergo a criminal records name check prior to or at any time following hire.
To apply for this position, please submit your application by the closing date noted above.
We appreciate the interest of all candidates. Due to the volumes of applications we receive, we are only able to contact candidates that are selected to move forward in the recruitment process. The WSIB is an equal opportunity employer.
The WSIB is an equal opportunity employer and provides accommodation for job applicants in accordance with the Human Rights Code and the Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act. If you are an individual with a disability and you need accommodation in order to apply for this position, please contact email@example.com. If you are invited to participate in the assessment process, please provide your accommodation needs at that time. Please be advised that you may be required to provide medical documentation to the WSIB’s Corporate Health Department so that appropriate accommodation can be provided to you throughout the recruitment process.
Employees of the WSIB have important ethical responsibilities, including the obligation to place the public interest above personal interests. Job applicants are therefore required to disclose any circumstance that could result in a real, potential or perceived conflict of interest. These may include: political activity, directorship or other outside employment and certain personal relationships (e.g. with existing WSIB employees, clients and/or stakeholders). Please contact TAC if you have any questions about conflict of interest obligations and/ or how to make a disclosure.
Personal information will be collected from your resume, application, cover letter and references under the authority of the Workplace Safety and Insurance Act, 1997 and will be used by the Talent Acquisition Centre and WSIB hiring parties to assess/validate your qualifications and/or determine if you meet the requirements of vacant positions and/or gather information relevant for recruitment purposes. If you have questions or concerns regarding the collection and use of your personal information, contact the WSIB Privacy Office, 200 Front Street West, Toronto, ON, M5V 3J1 or 416-344-5323 or 1-800-387-0750 extension 5323. Be advised that information related to application status will not be provided.